Thursday, December 28, 2006

Waitressing

Gary called and asked whether I would like to have a go at waitressing. I warned him that I had no previous experience, but he brushed it aside,
"You're smart, you'll pick it up"
First day went ok! My job is to wait on tables and take telephone orders. It's quite a challenge juggling all the bits. I have to be polite to the customers and make sure I don't spill any food on to them, placate the temperamental chef, enter items correctly on the till, make sure the music is always playing, answer the phone before it rings 4 times, check that the toilets are clean...
I've made a few mistakes- I charged 8p for drinks instead of £8, but this was easily rectified. It helped that the customers were good sports! I also received good tips- about £25 in total - for just one evening!!! Must be doing something right!
The cinema also called me in for a group interview. It was going great until the interviewer went around the room asking us for our ages
"18",
"22",
"19".
I took a deep breath... "31!"
Shocked gasps all around the room and thought to myself 'that's it, I haven't got the job!' I was a bit surprised when I got a call asking me to go in for a second interview.
The age issue came up
"Most people who work here are aged between 19 and 26, and you're... er... what..er?"
"31?"
"Yes! Don't you think you'll have a problem fitting in?"
"Look at me.. if I hadn't told you my age, how old would you think I was?"
"In your 20's... but that's not the point. Your age kind of shows when you talk. There's a difference between looking a certain age and acting it?"
"Yes. But I don't think I'd have a problem fitting in. I get along with everyone"
So we left it at that, but towards the end of the interview it came up again,
"Most of the supervisers and managers are 19 or 20 years. Would you have a problem taking orders from them?"
Now whose age and inexperience is showing up in the way they talk!
I assured her that in a professional working environment, I would respect the authority in place.
I still don't think I'll get the job. At least I've got the waitressing job!