Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Money Issue and Vulnerability

As some of you may know, my wallet was stolen at the beginning of my 3-month round the world trip. I phoned up my bank and credit card company to stop the cards and ask them to send me replacements.
They both refused to send them to me in Uganda, stating that Company policy was that replacements are only sent to the customer's UK address. I reasoned, begged and tried to touch the sympathetic chord which I am now convinced does not exist in any of the financial institutions of the UK. They wouldn’t budge.
Fortunately, Fredrik was staying at my flat at the time - so he sent my debit card by courier.
My original plan had been to use the credit card for all expenses, so that when I returned to the UK in November, I’d transfer the debt to a 0% interest card and spread the repayments over the year. Instead I was forced to use my debit card to pay for everything. Things were tight! Despite extreme 'frugality' (is that a word?)
I still amassed a massive overdraft which unfortunately cannot be transfered on to a 0% card.
So I am stuffed!
In all this, God has overwhelmed me with generosity from all quarters- my flatmate Yati, family, friends and even my work colleagues. I am now relying on others to provide for me - even the basics... I no longer have the luxury of being proud.
It's like God is deliberately stripping away all the protective layers that I've built over the years by putting me in a position where I NEED people to survive. For some reason, when I was abroad, it was easy to ask for help. But at home it's so much harder because this is where I'm always in control - especially with my finances.
This is new territory for me! I can't say I enjoy being here, but I am learning a valuable lesson – that it is okay to show my vulnerability