Thursday, August 21, 2008

Listening

Despite the Great Commission and my 'call' to evangelism, I'm not much of an evangelist. I think I've only shared the gospel with ONE person at work in the whole 9 years that I've been working there. I'd like to say that I've distinguished myself as a Christian, with 'this little light of mine' shining bright, but alas my attitude to and quality of work has been more of less the same, if not worse than my fellow 'unbelieving' colleagues; I often join in with the office gossip, laugh at the crude jokes (some of them can be quite funny) and my language at times, can be colourful.
So I'm not evangelising in word or deed. Occasionally I DO pray for my 'unsaved' friends, family and colleagues, but that's about it.

Yesterday I went out for lunch with a work colleague. She's been having a really rough few months with health, family, (our) dead end job etc and it became quite clear into the lunch that all she really wanted was someone to listen. So I did.
This particular person is a devout Catholic, but at the same time dabbles in occult practices such as tarot cards, palm reading, consulting mediums. As she was talking, I silently prayed to the Holy Spirit for guidance. Should I hit her HARD with the gospel?
No answer was forthcoming
As the lunch hour was drawing to a close, before I could think it over, I blurted out
"Okay, shall we pray about this? Do you mind?"
"You mean pray now?"...
"Mmhmm"...
"No, no I don't mind"
I prayed a simple prayer and my last words to her as we parted were

"God will turn this situation around. I don't know how, but He will"

Afterwards I got a text from her thanking me for listening, her spirits had been lifted her and she thought I was a true daughter of God.

I felt a bit pleased about that. Even though it isn't proper evangelising, I pray that I have sown the seed of God's hope into her life
Now Father please do something about her situation...In Jesus name I pray!