Thursday, August 21, 2008

Boredom

If it seems pretty much like posting overload, that’s probably because it is

I volunteered to move to a different team at the beginning of August and now think this was a terrible mistake. It made a lot of sense at the time - an opportunity to do something different. Also the new office is closer to home, so instead of one and half hours it only takes 20 minutes to get to work. I’ve even cycled in a couple of times.

Geographical location is about the only positive thing about the job so far! 2 weeks in and I’m sitting at my desk, watching the clock, twiddling my thumbs and blogging. On Monday I could not bring myself to come in and took a ‘sickie’. Today I almost cried as I left the house. Some friends have said that I should enjoy the fact that I’m getting paid for doing nothing. But that’s just not me! I’m going slowly insane from inactivity!
I’ve tried to find something to do… honestly. I’ve been badgering my new manager but he’s gone off on leave; I keep sending emails to my old manager- who has now absolved himself of all responsibility. I’ve volunteered for a project in another team that was desperate for help, but no one has got back to me. I have a mentor in the new team, who is fond of planning meetings, but not very good at implementation. I gave myself a pep talk at lunchtime

“Change your attitude! Look for something to do. Get creative”

I’m bored and there’s still one more day to go to the weekend! What will I do tomorrow?