Friday, July 18, 2008

Purpose...

As I grow older so does my capacity to whinge. I don’t want to be ‘that’ woman. You know, the one every one avoids because she is just too depressing!

I’ve always tried to emulate my Christian heroine; Corrie Ten Boom. There’s something about her that I can (strangely) relate to. She lived quite an ordinary life, never married, worked in the family business as a clockmaker and was involved in charitable work. At the age of 52, she (and her family) was arrested for harbouring Jews from Nazi Gestapo. She spent 10 months in concentration camps – including the notorious Ravensbruck camp in Germany. When she was released, she went around the world preaching a message of forgiveness.
Yeah I know I should be striving to be like Jesus – but let’s be realistic here, I’ll NEVER be like Him- Corrie’s easier. Come to think of it… it’s not easy being Corrie either. Not sure I could forgive people who treated me brutally and like sh*t!!
I’m not very charitably inclined – yes I do have some degree of compassion for the oppressed, persecuted and will make the occasional gesture of support. I don’t think kids are ‘cute’ and old people smell and are irritating