Thursday, May 08, 2008

Rome and my Italian Regazzo (young man)

Rome trip was actually quite good! Don't know why I was stressing out about it. The organiser did a brilliant job - finding a suitable apartment in the city centre and hiring taxis to collect and drop us off at the airport.
I've visited Rome a couple of times before, so sightseeing was not high on my list of priorities. The aim was to practice my Italian, and sample the club scene. Unfortunately, my travelling companions had a taste for the expensive restaurants and bars. They also did not drink wine, preferring cocktails- which kind of scuppered my plans of splitting the cost of a wine bottle. (the cheaper option)

About the Regazzo...He approached us while we were queueing outside Anima club, which is off the Piazza Novona. Despite the fact that it was full he managed to get us in. The music was good, so I started dancing with Chris (who isn't a very good dancer). When the rest of the group joined us on the floor my Ragazzo made his move... in a clever way. Once he'd established that Chris was not my boyfriend, he pulled out some salsa moves which ended in a tight embrace. We stayed that way and slowdanced, talking for the rest of the evening. As we were almost the same height, we leant in close to hear each other over the loud pumping music... He is 30, a media studies graduate, and moonlights as a busker (plays guitar) on weekends at the Spanish Steps. He's studied jazz dancing and sometimes works as a martial arts instructor. (read... nice body) His chat up lines however left a lot to be desired

"I love the smell of your skin"!!!

Not the first time I've heard this from an Italian. Either I have a really nice body odour, or they actually think this is a romantic line!!! He explained that in Italy it means he loves me (most likely lust ) and tried several times to kiss me. However, my lips were firmly out of range - and he got the cheek!! What I liked about him though is that he was confident, sociable and afterwards earned brownie points by making it his responsibility to get us back to our apartment safely. Sooo macho - I liked that. We exchanged numbers.

The next evening we went to Caruso club in Travestere for the Cuban Salsa evening. He showed up with a bevy of friends - one for each of my travelling companions, including a couple of Russian girls he had met that day at the Steps "I bring them for your friend, Chris" Awww!

I thought to myself, for just one evening let me pretend that he is my boyfriend. Of course I know he was only after sex - I may be a virgin, but I'm not naive -but it felt really nice to have some male attention, be treated like a woman and not 'one of the guys' for a change. He suggested going up to the terrace for 'fresh air', where we proceeded to snog for what seemed like ages! The 'sex' question came up, and I was like "No"

"Why you say, "No!" so quickly. Don't you like me?"

"You're a nice guy, but that is just not going to happen. Just because I kiss you doesn't mean I am going to sleep with you"

Afterwards he told one of my friends that I was bit difficult. Must have come as a shock to him because black girls in Italy have a reputation for being 'easy'.The weird thing is... I didn't enjoy the snogging and felt like a spectator- going through the motions but completely not turned on! Was a bit worried that I might be frigid or something but I've thought it over since and reached this conclusion: For once my body and my head are in total agreement. If I am to have sex, it will only be within the context of a meaningful relationship - which to me is nothing short of marriage. I must admit that my virginity acts as a control. It is a rare and precious thing in this modern age, and I want to give it as a gift to the man who marries me - not just casually throw it away on someone I met randomly in a night club.

I wonder whether there is a virgin out there for me?? sigh

I stood him up the next day - because I knew that he would continue in the same vein. I was also regretting my actions the previous evening. I remembered rather belatedly that this wasn't exactly Christ-like behaviour - nice Christian girls don't go 'scoring' in bars.

However, it is an ego boost when someone finds you desirable, but I don't think I'll let it go that far again. Well I don't know... the attention was quite flattering!