Monday, February 11, 2008

Chinese New Year

In the early hours of Sunday morning, there was a huge blaze in Camden Lock Market. This is one of my favourite places in London, and is always on my itinerary for visiting friends. So I went down to have a look at the devastation. Didn't see much as the whole area was cordoned off and firefighters were still hard at work. There were loads of bewildered tourists milling about, and the traffic was just awful.

This man ruined my afternoon!!!

Yati and I went to Chinatown to join in the Chinese New Year celebrations. There’s one restaurant we always go to called “New World Chinese Restaurant” for Dim Sum. It is usually good, but this time there wasn’t much variety on the trolleys, the duck was cold. Ordering a bowl of steamed rice was a task in itself. The trolley staff didn't seem to know who took the orders for the rice. For about 15 minutes, we tried in vain to catch the attention of the non-trolley staff. When Yati signalled to THIS MAN, he waved his hand dismissively and brushed past. SO RUDE!! My eyes met with one of the trolley staff who looked as shocked as we did. She tried to excuse his behaviour by saying that he was crazy. Even after this, still no one was stopping at our table, so I stood up and declared repeatedly in a loud querulous voice, "We just want a bowl of steamed rice.What does it take to get a bowl of rice in this establishment"

As if by magic, the rice appeared!!!


I've worked as waitress before, and can appreciate that it does get busy sometimes, but that’s no excuse to be rude to paying customers. Never again!

The fireworks at Leicester Square were obscured mainly by the large fig trees and resultant smoke. Not as spectacular as you would expect for a Chinese New Year Celebration. I think next year I’ll give the whole thing a miss!