Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Clubbing in Nottingham and a behind-the-scenes look into marriage

Last weekend, a group of us went up to Nottingham to see Emily and Alistair.
Yati and I had planned to hit the club scene even though everyone else declined saying they would rather stay in for the evening. Our excitement was so catching that at the last minute, Emily decided she was coming too. This prompted a sulky response from husband Alistair who wanted her to stay in with him. Despite protracted awkward, embarrassing scenes and a dirty look from Alistair, we set off for Nottingham City Centre.
Our destination was this massive nightclub called Oceana. It's got 6 Rooms, including 5 bars and 2 nightclubs – one playing House/Dance music and the other R’n B, Ragga and Soul. It is an ‘Over 21’s’ club so there aren’t that many University students which is always nice. The only downside is that the House music room had a strong vomit smell– yuck! So we spent most of the time in the R’n B room. I found the DJ’s quite annoying; with their incessant pausing of the music just to say “Having a good time people?” We would if you just got on with playing the music! Apart from that, there was a nice vibe with loads of hen and stag parties going on. The Pop star act ‘Booty Love’ who sang ‘Boogie Night’ (a song that I LOVE!!!) was going to make a live appearance at around midnight.
When I go clubbing it takes me an hour to get into the groove, to get a feel for the place, so was not impressed when Emily (who had turned almost comatose at this point) asked me “Can we go home now?” WHAT??? Before midnight! Before Booty Love?? You are having a laugh, aren’t you? After the earlier kerfuffle with Alistair, and you want to go home now? If she’d been sober, I would have put her in a cab and sent her home, but she wasn’t. So being a good friend I agreed to leave early... under duress of course.
On the drive back to her place she raved on about how we’d gone CLUBBING YEAH!!! Yati and I looked at each other and I told her “Not for us. That wasn’t even a tip of the ice berg. We’d planned to go on until 3.00am at least. It’s not like as if we go clubbing everyday”

Plus we'd missed Booty Love.
I could have said more to really rub it in but chose not to…ok… I may have made the occasional snide remark...
The next day, Emily told Alistair how she’d messed up the evening, exaggerating so that he could feel justified about his previous evening’s sulking. He even started gloating,


“You see, I know what Emily is like. That’s why I didn’t want her to go in the first place”


Oh really! That’s not what you told us last night!

Urghhh!!!

Interesting insight into marriage though! Not sure I’d put up with a husband who sulked, when he didn’t get his own way, in front of my friends. I don’t care how good the friends are. Some things need to remain between the two of you, you know what I mean?