Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Amazing Grace

Last Thursday I watched ''Amazing Grace', a film about William Wilberforce - the man who was the driving force behind the Bill to abolish slavery in 1807. I was impressed by his dogged determination to fight for what was, in his time, an unpopular cause! God creates us for specific purposes, and Wilberforces' purpose was to crusade for the abolition of slave trade. It took him years to get that bill passed. At one point he'd given up in disillusionment, but his wife talked him into going for it again.


Made me think though. I don't have a 'Cause'!
Do I care PASSIONATELY about anything? Not really.

As a Christian, my Commission is to be a witness and make disciples for Jesus. Personally, I lean more towards Christian social action. Meaning, if I had to choose between giving my time and resources to either a Street Evangelism team or to Philanphropists who actively address the social needs in a community, it would definitely be the latter.
Occasionally I've been involved in projects to help Homeless people like the Crisis Shelter at Christmas, and recently as a Job Coach in the Business Action on Homelessness programme that helps them get back into work. I don't feel I am doing enough though. Would like to do more...
One of my spiritual gifts is 'Acts of Service' and perhaps this is reason why Amazing Grace resonated so strongly within me. I am a 'Martha' and would go absolutely potty if I had to sit at the feet of Jesus like 'Mary' and do nothing!
But Martha was the one who was reprimanded by Jesus! I've always felt this was unfair. Do I hear a collective gasp as I dare to criticise our Saviour? I'm sorry but You wired me this way! You know what I'm like!
I've often wondered what Martha did after that. Did she turn the cooker off and say "Sod the meal I've been slaving away for hours to prepare!" Or did she go back into the kitchen and sulk about the lack of appreciation for her efforts (I know I would have)
I strongly believe that there is a place for Martha's and Mary's within the Body of Christ and the best combination would be for us to work together to proclaim the Kingdom of God through our actions and our words!
I think all Christians should watch Amazing Grace- not just because it is a great film, but to also be inspired!
As I was!