Thursday, February 15, 2007

Survived Valentines...

Such a relief that is has finally come and gone! Despite previous post (numbing myself) I did pray that God would give me a date on Valentines.

Nothing happened!

The cinema called me in the afternoon to ask whether I was available to work since they were short staffed
"No I can't... I've got plans"
I didn't elaborate that the 'plan' was to show up at the cinema with my mates to watch a film for free. That scuppered that one!
So when I got home, I lit candles all aorund the living room and read 'Adrian Mole- The Cappuccino Years' - at least I had a good laugh!

The day before I'd sent an email to my sister - pouring my heart out about my feelings of rejection at this time of the year. She came back with a slap in my face exhorting me to be more proactive by doing something with my friends instead. I'VE BEEN PROACTIVE FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS OF MY LIFE!!!! Give me a break!

But you know... the grass is greener on the other side

I asked my married friends what their Valentines Day plans were. The majority HAD NO PLANS! Even the newly weds!

"It's expensive. Why waste £100 on just one day!"
"February the 14th isn't the only day in the year when we can celebrate our love" (neither is Christmas, Mother's Day, Father's Day...)
"He doesn't do flowers or cards"

The general impression is that for them Valentines day is no big deal. I bet when they first started dating it WAS!

Where has all the romance gone?
Makes me think. Do we Singles place too much stock on Valentines Day?

On another note:

My church House Group volunteered to cook the Alpha course supper on Tuesday. It was really fun and the punters seemed to like the food. Especially one of the guys who I find particularly attractive. He's got lovely olive skin, dark hair, long eyelashes, athletic body (broad shoulders, narrow waist) beautiful smile and plays the piano beautifully! I've always admired him from afar but have never said a word to him. I was serving the food and he came up for seconds saying he really LOVED it! Music to a chef's ears! He later came into the kitchen to personally thank us again for a wonderful supper 'The best I've had on this Alpha course"

I just stood there grinning like an idiot!

The next day I was bemoaning this fact to my friend and confidante Simon (expert on all 'Men' affairs) and he says
"If a guy you like compliments something you do - TALK to him...... at least you could hint that if you like it that much I'll make it just for you someday, if he supplies the wine!!!"

Maybe the 'numbing' isn't such a bad idea after all!!