Tuesday, February 20, 2007

AFRO vs DREADLOCKS

I am trying to decide whether to start growing dreadlocks 'Rasta' style or not! Last weekend I put in temporary 'locks' using gel, to get a feel for what I would look like with them.
If I do decide to go ahead with it, I will use 'beeswax' which is permanent! Meaning if I ever grow tired of the dreads, the only way to get rid of them would be to shave off ALL my hair!!!!!
It's a BIG DECISION!
Afro -Pros
1) Shows I'm proud of my African roots
2) I can go swimming without worrying about messing up an expensive hair style
Cons
1) High maintenance -I have to plait my hair EVERY night so that it's soft and pliable enough to comb through the next day. Then it takes AGES to put into shape!
2) I can't wear a hat, lean against anything or walk in very strong wind because it knocks it out of shape!
3) Bits of my hair scattered all over the flat
Dreadlocks- Pros
1) Shows I'm proud of my African roots
2) Very low maintenance- run fingers through hair - and go!
3) Associated with creative hippy types (I think I am one...)
Cons
1) An Unfortunate association with Rastafarians
2) Can't wear hat (none big enough)
3) Can be messy and therefore not very professional!
4) The first 2 months, I am not supposed to wash my hair so that it locks into place. This can be quite smelly!
I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!