Thursday, August 03, 2006

Libraries were created for people like me!

I just can’t read a book twice. I forget titles, but never a good story. Many times I’ve picked up books with interesting titles or pictures on the cover, only to discover that the story is beginning to sound “oddly familiar”. Ohhh! That’s because I read it 5 years ago! Interest suddenly evaporates and I just can’t get back into it!

Most of my fellows ‘Bookies’ have built up vast libraries, which they add to daily. At the rate at which I read, which is roughly a book a day (or up all night depending on how gripping the story is), if I were to buy each book I read, it would have a detrimental effect on the feng shui of already cramped flat! Don’t get me wrong, I have SOME books, but their sole purpose is to impress visiting ‘Bookies’ – “Uhh, let’s see what you’ve got...‘Catch 22'...'Nelson Mandela’s autobiography'… Wow!"

I love Libraries!

One of the major factors that convinced me to settle down in London was the 'Library'. Unlike back home Uganda, it was such a pleasure to borrow not just one book but… TWELVE; and take them home for 3 weeks!!! Glorious!

But like all things, Libraries aren’t perfect! That chart topping Bestseller, which you’ve JUST GOT TO READ TODAY has been reserved by a gazillion people! To further prolong the agony, some slow reader is holding up the line. (Is anyone feeling me?)
Maybe Libraries should introduce a “Fast Readers Club”, with queue jumping privileges… after all; we are the ones who give them the most ‘business’. We should be rewarded for our loyalty!

The only down side to being a fast reader is: -
Scenario 1
Halfway through your train journey you realise that you’ve made a serious miscalculation and the book that you were hoping would last the whole trip is swiftly coming to an end…
Scenario 2
You’re just about to finish reading the first book in a Trilogy and realise that the second book is on the “Gazillion-Maddeningly-Slow-Readers Reserved List” and Mr Slow Poke's still got it…

So what does one do? Sit and stew until next year to find out how the story ends…

Well fortunately us Fast Readers have discovered the world of “Bookstores”. One has even gone so far as to have inviting signs in the windows that say, “Stay a while!”

Bookie Heaven!

You can go in, take a book off the shelf, curl up in considerately placed comfy sofas and drink a coffee! So long as you don’t mark or fold the pages, you can while away many a glorious hour absorbed in your little world!
And you don't have to buy the book!
How cool is that???