Monday, August 03, 2009

Into Gay Territory

Yesterday, Giulia and I headed to the West End in search of a bar for drinks. I wasn’t in the mood to be hassled by guys, so we decided on Compton’s – a gay bar on Old Compton street in Soho. It’s one of those classic old fashioned looking bars. The bar staff serve really quickly. When we walked in, everyone looked up and I whispered to Giulia, “Are you sure it’s alright for us to come in here?”
Yes, I know, it’s a gay bar but no women in sight. How come gay bars only ever have men?

The DJ in the back was playing ‘wicked’ tracks, and we spotted a Japanese couple gyrating on the raised section behind him. We joined them. It wasn't long before we were surrounded by other guys. They were all friendly, introduced themselves (Ray, Chris, Mohammed) and danced flirtatiously with us. That’s what I like about gay bars –you’ll have a good time and won’t have to worry about sleazy advances.
Or so I thought.
Mohammed it turns out is not gay.
“I thought you were supposed to be gay?”,
“I really like you, let’s go to my place afterwards”
“Nah, man I came to dance. Let’s just have fun here ok”
What are the chances eh? I go to a gay bar and still get hit on?

At 10.30, the bar closed and we spent some time chatting outside with our new friends. Ray is from New Zealand and was listing all the best gay clubs in London. Chris, from USA, had introduced himself as an “alcoholic” and then burst into high pitched laughter. I replied “That’s funny, and then not.” He is really into music and as a hobby mixes tracks which he gives to DJ’s to play in clubs. Mohammed on realising that he was not going to get any action from me left. Giulia lost her phone, so Chris offered to check on his laptop for her mobile operator’s website so she could report it stolen. Ku bar, which has a free Wi-Fi connection, was still open. And so it came to be that I was in the basement of Ku bar, hanging out with a bunch of gay men, on a Sunday night. Chris and I ogled the bar and waiting staff who were topless - big shoulders, waxed chests, tapered waists, six-packs. Mmm. I remarked, “For the job interview, they probably just had to take their shirts off” Chris pulled up his shirt to reveal his skinny chest. “What are my chances?” I burst out laughing.
A really good evening I think Giulia and I have decided to explore the gay scene a bit more.
Another thing about gay clubs –no queue in the ladies toilets! Nuff said!