Friday, August 14, 2009

The beautiful people


I like watching Ugly Betty. It is entertainment that doesn’t stretch the brain. It is an American sit com based in New York and revolves around Betty Suarez, unglamorous and good-natured girl who works in an uber-chic fashion magazine Mode. I wouldn’t say she was ugly although she’s got thick dark hair, wears large pink glasses, braces and some very odd clothes.
In last week’s episode, Betty goes to great lengths to win the affections of her musician neighbour, Jesse. She throws an exclusive Mode after party on her apartment’s roof so that his band can play ‘and get exposure’. Unfortunately, after the party she is crushed when she walks in on him snogging her glamorous room mate Amanda. Amanda wasn't aware that Betty had a crush on the guy. In the aftermath, when they are talking over things, Amanda comments wistfully
"You know you're lucky Betty. When someone falls in love with you, it's real. I never had that. I never know if I'm loved for who I am or because I'm so pretty. "

Funny that...
Mia, St B’s latest ‘hot’ new convert (all the guys are going gaga over her) echoed the same sentiment. She said she wanted to settle down and get married, but claims she is sick of guys just looking at her pretty face, and not really taking the time to know her as a person

I’m normally cynical about pretty people feeling sorry for themselves. After all their good looks open doors for them, people accommodate them and make allowances for their faults, and they have confidence that stems from being popular and always having their way. In the game of life, the odds are stacked much higher in their favour compared to us plainer folk.

My sister once invited a former beauty queen to spend Christmas with our family. She was former Miss California, or was it Miss Teen California – I forget… not relevant…she was very beautiful. My family relates to house-guests along the lines of a Kiswahili saying that goes: 'Mgeni siku mbili; siku ya tatu mpe jembe', which literally translates as ' Visitor for two days; on the third day give him/her a hoe'; so when I showed up for Christmas lunch, and she greeted me with,
“Kim! You’re here! Now you can make me some Earl grey tea. Your sister here has been drinking coffee all day”, I led her to the kitchen, pointed out the kettle, tea bags and sugar and told her “I have mine with milk and two sugars, Thanks!” Shock. She was accustomed to people always doing things for her, but when she left a week later she told me that it was refreshing to be treated like a normal person for a change.

I admit that I have double standards. Just last weekend, I was at a salsa club eye-balling this gorgeous German guy on the dance floor. He was tall, had lovely features, great body, BUT was a lousy dancer. I mean he was lacking basic rhythm and in salsa where a man has to lead, it is kind of IMPORTANT. Despite this, a lot of women approached him for dances. To my shame, so did I – he was just so cute. One wonders, had he been ugly, would anyone have danced with him?

There was a point to this post, but I've lost my thread. Perhaps we should spare a thought and have some sympathy for the pretty people among us. I'll find it somewhere. What do you think? Should we feel sorry for the pretty people of the world? Are you perhaps a pretty person and would like to share your experience with us?