Sunday, January 18, 2009

Spirit willing... Flesh weak!

I've spent hours searching through the Internet for Street Dance classes.  These dance schools are NOT serious. One school was charging almost £20 per lesson!!! Now, I've been to a street dance class before, and the most you learn within that 1 and half hours is like 8, maybe 10 steps in a dance routine! That's it! Justify £20 for that! 
I've found one that is cheaper, charges £6 per lesson, which is on a pay-as-you-go basis. So if I can't make a class, I won't lose out on the money. There is the option of working towards a performance (which I really liked). And they are based in North London - nearer to my home. I've taken Salsa classes with them before which I enjoyed, so will be interesting to see how they do the Street dance classes. I start in February.
However, my knees, legs have started playing up again. In a bid to get fitter for the classes, I've been doing some power-walking, and my legs afterwards have been in agony. If walking can do that.... then I don't know how I will cope with strenuous dance routines. The pain is not continuous but comes in sharp jolts, that completely immobilise me for about 30 seconds. The more I exert myself, the more regular the occurence. So there's a connection. I've been to the GP, osteopath and even asked people at church to pray for me, but because I've been unable to pinpoint the pain at the time (sod's law) it's been a waste of time. 
A part of me is saying "Life's too short, just go dance until you can't anymore"
Another part is saying 'You might make things worse, then you won't be able to even walk anymore" 
I remember a woman once told me that she couldn't ride horses anymore because her bones had become too brittle with age and couldn't take it. I felt really sorry for her, because clearly she loved riding. But heck, I'm 33 - so in the prime of my life. If I am to suffer a (little??) pain in my legs as a result of pursuing something I love, then I'll do just that!