Monday, January 12, 2009

Dance


As I was watching Step Up 2 tonight, especially those spectacular choreographed sequences at the end, I indulged myself in a little nostalgia

I've always danced! When we were kids my dad used to play records from his Zaire/Lingala music collection and get us to compete. We'd dance our little hearts out to win the 100 shs prize (worth 80p now, but those days it was worth much more) 

The first dance video I saw was 'Thriller'. I paused, rewound and played it in slow motion until I'd memorized ALL the moves. Other influences were Five Star, Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul, Bobby Brown, MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice (I'm betraying my age... but...yes I'm an 80's child!!) I LOVED all the dance films like Breakdance 1 & 2, Dirty Dancing, Footloose

Secondary boarding school provided the platform for lots of Ugandan kids to showcase our dancing skills. I took part in all talent shows within and outside school. That whole Step Up stuff, the music, dance crews, that was us!!!  So when I got 'saved' as a teenager, it was really tough because as a 'Saved-ee', I was expected to abstain from listening to secular music and going to discos. However, Christian music didn't (and still doesn't really) do it for me. I must confess I sneaked away from time to time - aided and abetted by best friend Eddie who
a) wasn't a Saved-ee 
b) thought I was the only person who could party as hard as he could (I was better but....)

Fast forward to Uni...

Joined a band ' Prim and Propa' as backing singer and dancer, befriended all top club DJ's in Kampala and PARTIED hard  as you do at University (almost flunked out my first year exams!!!)
In my second year, I joined my church choir, and in a desire to pursue a 'Holy' lifestyle resigned from Prim and Propa and gave up partying.  Around this time, my friend Milly created and invited me to join 'The Gospel Dancers'  - the name speaks for itself really. We danced at church, and at weddings. Although the music and choreography were heavily censored- this kept me sane until I left Uganda

Being in London, (far away from Kampala where everyone knows your business) somewhat freed me to start listening to chart music again. I was still restricted because I only had Christian friends who, apart from dancing in church, were not really into the clubbing scene. Clubs were generally frowned upon as they were evil places, 'meat' markets, full of drugs, sex 
I got my 'dance fix' instead through aerobics, street dance and salsa classes at the local dance studio. But I still missed the bright lights, atmosphere, pulsating bass line....

Then when we got to 30 years, Eddie died. 

This has been the most traumatic event and a real turning point for me. It took the loss of a close friend to realise that life is just too short to live by society's expectations. I started doing what I LOVED, like expanding my social circles beyond the Church; backpacking for 3 months, watching Musicals and dancing! 
Being a sort of exhibitionist, I naturally want to get back into performance mode. I'm not as fit as I used to be, but if Madonna and Cher can do it, there's nothing to stop me from getting back on form. I've found a way I can do this in church - but this post is getting too long to include that here... plus it's past midnight and I'm sleepy now...so it will have to wait until the next one.