Monday, December 08, 2008

This month's flava..

My personality is such that I prefer to deal in ABSOLUTES. If I can’t have exactly what I want, I’d rather do without. For example, I want a new Apple Mac, but can’t afford one at the moment, so won’t compromise and by the cheaper PC’s which I can.

And so with men!

Last Friday, I organised a karaoke night, in one of those clubs where there is also a dance floor. In the middle of my rendition of ‘Cheeky girls’, I felt arms around my waist and then move up and down my hips. I turned around and discovered that Little Sam is not that shy on the dance floor. He then tried to kiss me…’Hang on! He’s not old enough to do this’…. I pushed him away and wagged a finger at him “You are a dangerous boy! Dangerous!”
Ok he is 28 (but looks about 20) – so not so young, relatively good looking... short. He comes up to me most Sundays, mumbles hello then stands there leaving me to carry the conversation. It really is hard work as he isn’t terribly communicative. I try to ask open questions, in an effort to get at his “Hot Buttons” (you know? A subject that is important to him or he feels strongly about) but in the months that I’ve known him, the only thing I’ve got is his ACCA course and exams. (Yawn) Conversation is mainly one way as he never asks me questions, it's stilted and normally ends in awkward silence, with me looking busy with tech stuff, till he gets the hint and leaves!

After karaoke, while we were waiting for our respective night buses he tried to bring up what had happened. I decided not to help him out.
Sam “Did you have a nice time tonight”
Kim “Yeah, it was cool, A lot of fun”
He stood there biting his lip; I could see from the expression on his face that he was desperately trying to think up what to say next. Fortunately (for me) his bus arrived!
“There’s your bus! Hope you get home ok”
As he hugged me goodbye he whispered in my ear just before he boarded “Bye Kim, I love you!”
Kim “That’s nice, bye!”

For some reason I think he’s been planning to say this for months! I got home and found a message from him on Facebook “I love you my sweet! Hope you got home fine”
Then on Sunday after the service he came up to me at the AV desk and tried again. “Did you enjoy the other night!”
“Yeah! It was great””
He shuffled from one foot to the other while I busied myself on the computer looking through my pictures on Facebook. He couldn’t see what was on the screen and assumed I was doing tech team stuff. Finally he said
“Kim and her computer. Always busy”
I made an apologetic face” Yes! Really hectic time of the year. We’re kind of stretched at the moment”
Now at this point, my kind of man would have offered to join the team to help ease the burden. We HAVE sent out countless appeals for volunteers…Sam is just not my type.
I was going to set him straight after he had completed his tough Accountancy exam today. I got a text

"Exam's over! Now it's u all the way...darling" GROAN
I immediately picked up the phone and called him. Told him that I was not looking for a relationship that right now I think is my time to remain single and I'd prefer to just be friends with him. He seemed to take it with good grace, saying that if that was what I wanted then he would respect that. Phew!! Let's just hope it won't be awkward at church

It’s so strange that now when I am in a place where like Lieutenant Dan in Forest Gump, I have made my peace with God and I am happily single- NOW is when all the guys show up