Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Temptation in Bognor - a reminder of my humanity

I often hesitate to write Christian articles, because I’m not really an authority on Christian matters. I strongly believe that the mettle of your faith is tested outside the comfort zone of the ‘Four Walls’ of Church. Like mine was!

At
Butlins, I’d been practising speaking Italian all weekend with the Sicilian couple in our Fancy dress group. Earlier in the day I’d remarked jokingly (??)

“Your boyfriend is cute, does he have a brother”
“Yes an older brother, Marko who lives in Rome. He’s single. We’ll hook you up with him!”

It was all going swimmingly well. So in the evening, I thought nothing of it when the boyfriend asked me to keep him company while he had a cigarette outside. Once we got there he grabbed me, pulled me tight against him, and his tongue was down my throat! The cheek of it…. and his girlfriend just upstairs? When I got over the shock (must admit it took a while because he was sooo cute) I gently disengaged and reminded him that he had a girlfriend, whom I happened to like a lot and I didn’t think we should be doing this. And what about hooking me up with your brother Marko?
“Pretend I am Marko for tonight”
“No…. think of your girlfriend. I’m not doing this to her. I like her”
He accepted this with a meek “Ok!”
(he was trying it on really) and we went back in. The girlfriend didn’t seem to notice that we were avoiding each other. I felt really bad. I saw one of the guys in the group talking to her and I thought, Oh no, he must have seen us, he’s telling her that he saw us kissing, I’m going to get bitch slapped here. You know what women are like! They always blame the woman even though I didn’t initiate anything and took the moral high ground so to speak.

Remember the suited, bra & thong guys? My Australian roomy had made friends with them, and I chatted with one of them that afternoon. He’s in the army – which explained the nice body. Yes I'm sucker for muscles. I thought he was just being friendly but later on I realised this had been a ‘fishing expedition’ to establish that ‘the coast was clear’ before he could make his move. And make his move he did! Not in the unrefined grabbing way of the Italian. He took his time - clearly skilled in the art of seduction! In the disco, he hovered on the fringes of our group and then somehow manoeuvred me to himself, next thing we are slow dancing, he is making me laugh, then we are kissing. He was a good kisser; just the right height and I could feel his biceps through his shirt. And me, who until then had sworn that I was asexual, never feeling anything when I made out with guys, was REALLY struggling inside. When the tone started turning towards ‘Lets find a room’, I hastily excused myself and went to the Ladies; sent a text message to my mate SJ- never mind it’s the middle of the night, she’s in Nigeria and this is going to cost her!

“SJ, at moment I am very tempted to have sex with this guy. I am seriously turned on; he’s got a great body. Please pray for me LIKE NOW!”
A text straight back from her “I’m on it girl! Avoid bein alone & do WOTEVA IS NECESSARY 2 keep urself out o dangers way!”


Bless her heart!!!


Reinforced with SJ’s advice and prayers, I told him I was going to bed ON MY OWN and suggested that he take a cold shower and do the same. He walked me to my room, tried one last time to change my mind, but I held firm (…only just)

Okay so now it’s official. Italians like me, and I am not asexual. I’m not super human either, and not a very good Christian. If I was, I wouldn’t have got myself into that position in the first place. But I’ve also proven to myself that prayer works because the only way I didn’t go 'all the way' with this guy was through some serious DIVINE INTERVENTION. I read in 2 Corinthians 4: 7 (NLT) this morning,

We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves

So true, So true