Monday, October 20, 2008

Last weekend I treated myself to a day out at Madame Tussaud’s. I’ve been keeping close tabs on my expenditure this month – writing down everything I spend. But as I was feeling so low all week after the disastrous interview, I thought, ‘Sod it! I’ll indulge and spend £25 pounds on myself.”
I had a ‘buy one get one free ticket’ voucher and asked little Ollie to hang out with me. This was quite handy because he brought a
long his camera and acted as my photographer. Some of the wax works were really lifelike e.g. Samuel L Jackson and the Queen. Others weren’t so good, like Will Smith. There were too many women lining up to take a picture of the George Clooney holding their hand and gazing into their eyes, so missed out on that one. Angelina and Brad also had a long queue. I took pictures with Morgan Freeman, Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Shirley Bassey, Justin Timberlake, Robbie Williams, Tiger Woods, Charles Dickens and Mr T. We couldn’t get into the Chamber of Horrors because they asked for an extra £3, which I thought was quite cheeky. The last ride was called the ‘Spirit of London’ where you sit in little taxis and go slowly around a mini roller coaster through waxworks depicting the history of London from Queen Victoria times todate. As you come out the ride a camera flashes and takes a photo - I came out looking very dark and bewildered (the lighting is never any good for us dark people).
We had lunch at Pizza Express courtesy of another buy one get one free meal voucher. Then we took a stroll through Regents Park, Freize Art Festival’s sculpture garden. Ollie kept referring to it as crap, saying that the money could have been better spent on people in the Third World who really need it… but he likes the Tate Modern art gallery?? which in my opinion is no different.



The skull was made from recycled tin cans. In the other photo, a reluctant Ollie forced to pose with a sculpture. Such enthusiasm! We rounded off the day at Hillsong London which was ok… it was the usual Hillsong. My little friend was impressed with the technical side of things, e.g. the lighting and visuals. But like me, thought that the sound mix was terrible – couldn’t really hear the vocals over the loud instruments. Also the sound engineer could have had less volume on the kick drum during the quiet ministry moments. The sermon was good because it talked about the Law, and how Jesus fulfilled it for us already. A timely reminder!