Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A Victim of Fraud!

I couldn't believe it when I saw it!

£125 visa payment to 'Month End Money, Internet' on the 29 August 2008. Who the hell are 'Month End Money'???

I was checking my bank account online on Sunday night, when I spotted the payment. There was simply no way I could have spent £125 in one go, and then to a company I'd never even heard of!

Thank God I found out about it this way. Just last week my friend Emily discovered that she was also a victim of credit card fraud when her card payment was declined. She was understandably embarrassed and in shock, because she'd only JUST got the card, and had not used it much. When she requested a statement from the credit card company, she found someone had spent up to £1500!! £125 seems tiny by comparison!!
I got on to the phone straight away to my bank. Fortunately they have a 24 hour phone line... Good Old Nationwide!!... and had the card stopped. Next day I phoned their Special Investigation branch to explain that a fraudster had gotten hold of my card details. I could not understand how this could happen since I hardly ever use it online. The lady I spoke to explained that you only have to use your card once... if someone on the other end is dishonest, they will use your details to make unauthorised transactions. These things are commonplace. The bank have re-creditted the money.
I've become paranoid now. I keep checking my account every few hours!

I don't have any cash on me, my replacement card is arriving in 5 - 7 working days and I have no time to go into my local bank branch to withdraw money.
It sucks really