Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sure let me down!

Quite a busy weekend!
On Friday I attended a friends 'coming of age' house party. He was celebrating "not being a teenager anymore." Not sure why I was invited given that the average age at the party was about...err... 20! Just when I thought I'd be lumbered with the adults (his mom and dad) in the living room while the youngsters had a laugh somewhere else, I hit upon the brilliant idea of wandering around the house taking photos.
Towards the end of the party, I had a long conversation with my 'crush' who is errr... 20
(a pause while I look a bit shamefaced).
He is absolutely gorgeous though – broad shoulders, well defined muscles (works out at the gym), plays piano and sings most beautifully. (I'm a sucker for musicians) Who cares that he was only in his nappies when I was starting secondary school!!!!

Back to the busy weekend!
Saturday: Latino Aerobics in the morning, Italian lessons in the afternoon, (which are getting progressively harder) and then 3 evening engagements!

The way I'd planned it was 6.00pm for the first, 9.00pm for the second and 11.00pm for the third one. However learnt once again that 'The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry'
For the 6.00pm meet up, my friend who is over on holiday from Kenya arrived 3 and a half hours late!!!! As you can see, this threw the rest of my timings completely out. At 10pm, I rushed to the St Georges' Day fancy dress party that my friend Andy had organised to raise funds for the Motor Neurone Disease Association. Fortunately, I'd explained to him before about 'African time', so was not too embarrassed to arrive 4 hours after it had started. Once there I took to the dance floor, and as so often happens at these parties when you are the only Black, a crowd gathers round to watch in awe- "Ahh, so that's what rhythm is"
There I was revelling in the attention, and then I went to the bathroom and saw to my horror... MASSIVE sweat patches under both arm pits!
Oh the shame!
You watch these adverts on TV about antiperspirants, and how they won't let you down!
I can tell you now that SURE LET ME DOWN!!!

I left rather hurriedly after that for my next engagement- Guanabara! I don't know what the deal is about this place, as I've never been inside - always been put off by the massive queue. This night was no exception. My friends who had arrived earlier were in the middle of the queue, but the security guard wouldn't let me in when I asked him. Instead he started moaning about his job, and how everyone else has been queueing and he cannot make exceptions, even for a sister! Imagine! And the guy was from Zaire - practically next door to Uganda! What’s the world coming to when a brother cannot help a sister?? So went home instead because I just don't do queues! Not in this weather!
(Also was a good excuse to get out of it, due to aforementioned sweat issue!)

Sunday, church and then surprise birthday party for a friend. The look on Sam's face when he opened the door to 10 of his friends was priceless! He's got lovely friends and I had a nice time getting to know them. Also my sister who has been shunning me for a while now was there and she gave me a HUG and actually talked to me!!! I don't know whether she was pretending we were cool because we were amongst ' outside people' (my dad does this), and I am too scared to phone her to confirm that! So I'll just leave things as they are for now!

So I’m a bit of a social animal. But this comes with a price because on Monday, I noticed lines under my eyes!!! Arghhhhh! I've always prided myself on looking younger than my age. Yati remarked
"It must be too much partying and too little sleep"