Friday, January 18, 2008

Sexy Mama's!!!

Towards the end of last year, Yati and I impulsively signed up for burlesque dance classes.

A few days later, I was horrified when I overheard Yati trying to explain what burlesque was to a few members of my Barnabas Home Group. I deliberately had not told them about it (for obvious reasons).
Martin didn’t even know what ‘burlesque’ meant (Probably pretending?) and wanted a demonstration.
Yati…“It’s kind of like ball room dancing, Latin style, that kind of thing…”
“Ohhhh!”
Hmm!
When I tell other people about my interest in burlesque (you know the ones who aren’t so holy), their first question is,
“Like Dita Von Teese?” (one of the most famous Modern Burlesque dancers)

“Urm… nooo… I was thinking more like PussyCat Dolls”

Okay PCD aren’t strictly burlesque, but they used to be- before they became world famous. And they look so sexy. I can just see myself doing that.
I just love the costumes, the confidence, femininity ( did I spell that right?)

Anyway went along to our first class last Monday. There were about 20 of us there so didn’t feel too daunting. Sharon, our instructor, had sent us an email beforehand telling us what to wear - any top and shorts . Or you could wear hot pants with a skirt, high heels… Yati wore hot pants, shorts AND a skirt. I just got some shorts.
In the class we practiced the sexy walk with Attitude, hip thrusts, shimmying, working the boa (lovingly through your fingers...) dancing with large ostrich feather fans (strippers use these to tease and open up to reveal), sitting sexily on a chair, steamy facial expressions. I felt a bit silly but damn I looked sexy!
Next week we will be learning how to take our stockings off in 4 different ways. And Sharon has asked us to wear opera gloves – don’t know what we’ll be doing with those. And in the last 10 minutes of the class, we’ll be learning how to swing tassels from our boobs.
“Some of you are shy and may not want to get all your kit off, so you can stick them over your bra”
Yati and I looked at each other. That would be us then.

I am really excited about the Pole dancing which commences in week 4.

Soon we’ll be ‘strutting our stuff’ like the PussyCat Dolls!
Doncha!!!