Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thoughts on Career

As a child, I considered several careers,
Nun - because I wanted to be close to God
Model - because I was tall and had a unique look. But that dream died when I realised that I had a large frame that would NEVER be UK Size 8 and Acne that has carried on till now.
Dentist - to follow in my dad's footsteps. I wasn't very good at Biology and in college performed better in the Arts.
Lawyer- having been inspired by Sydney Sheldon's book 'Rage of Angels'. I actually spent 4 years at Law School. It became quite clear in my first semester that being a lawyer wasn't at all glamorous - lots of HARD work, trudging through endless cases, like 'DPP v Shaw' (the first case you read in Criminal Law ) which is 40 pages of legalese- B-O-O-O-RING!!! And then you have about 100 other cases to go through ARGGHHHH!
During Uni, I worked part time at the local Radio station producing adverts and occasionally providing voice overs when there was no one else to do it. After I finished my degree, I interviewed at a new radio station that was in the process of being set up and got a job as a presenter. However, even though we received training we were told that the studio hadn't been completed and we wouldn't be paid for a few months... basically it looked BAD! My mother pooh poohed the whole idea and issued an ultimatum, give up the dream about working in a radio station in Uganda, or go to the UK. "If you really want to work in radio I would rather you did it for the BBC?"
So I took the ticket, and set off starry-eyed for the UK.
It was the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life.
If I'd stayed on in Uganda, I would have built up some radio experience which would have given me a 'leg in' to the BBC.
Once in the UK, I came face to face with reality. There was tough competition for even the unpaid roles in the BBC. I needed to survive so I took the first job that came my way, working in the civil service. It's a job, it pays the bills and the best thing about it is the flexible work hours. Quite a cushy number! No stress. I get time off to go travelling...
However, at this week's team meeting my manager informed us that the business was restructuring and basically by 2011, we would be out of a job. Which means that I have to start looking for another job.
I don't know what to dooooooooo (high pitched whine)
Some people have got their careers all figured out! Me? My 'career' path has been a trail of impulsive decisions, with no specific destination in mind.
At the moment I am volunteering as a AV operator at my local church. My flat mate said maybe I should consider a career in this area, do a few courses and get some qualifications. I don't know - maybe this will be my route into Radio?