Monday, October 29, 2007

Fitness Freak!

Saturday morning I tried out a new circuit training class. This is basically divided up into different work stations and you spend 5 minutes at each of them.
At the boxing post I was assigned this lady. First I held up those glove pads for her to punch. I kid you not, her face looked so scary, and with each punch she landed she would exhale air with a forceful ‘HU-AHH!’ I kept backing away until I was up against the mirror. When it came to my turn, my punches were a bit half hearted. You see, big tall people like me have a tendency to temper our full strength because

1) we are big and tall and
2) If we hit with all our strength we would cause serious damage

The lady started shouting at me,

“Come on!!! You can hit harder than that! Come on! Is that all you’ve got!”

I was glad when the instructor told us to move to the next station. Phew!

The other stations were mainly weights (my arms are still aching), skipping, running up and down, and press ups using a stability ball. I managed to only get in one press up but kept falling over. Apparently, I need to learn how to hold in my abdominal muscles and squeeze my bum tight in order to balance.
We finished off with some abdominal exercises. My boxing partner was really going for the crunches gung-ho style; whereas I would do like 4, collapse on the mat gasping, and only try again when I felt the instructor’s eyes on me. Today my stomach muscles are sore – but the wrong ones –above and below the bulge!!!

Back home as I was flopped on the sofa in exhaustion, the door bell rang. Yati and I looked at each other in surprise – we never get visitors
“Expecting anyone?” “Uh uh”
It was one of our neighbours Selena who’d seen me at the gym and finally found a reason to come over and make friends. We’ve been waving to each other for the last few months, but never introduced ourselves properly. She’ll be coming with me for my Saturday morning class.
I’m so happy that I’ve finally found a gym buddy!
Now I need buddies for my Slimming World and Ceroc dance classes