Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Online Dating... again!!

I've been feeling lonely, so once again have turned to online dating. Signed up to 3 websites - christiancafe.com, Tangowire.com and loveandfriends.com
The first few weeks have been spent feverishly checking my mail, responding to 'winks/smiles', emailing but with very little success
On Christian Cafe, I seem to be attracting only Nigerians and recently a 55 year old man who was looking for a woman in her early thirties who was 'keen and able to have children soon, not overweight'. Hmm... a broodmare I think. Clearly he had not read my profile which specified desired age range (30 and 40), and that I was not interested in having children.
On Tangowire, I was contacted by a randy Italian whose idea of a compliment was 'You are also sexy! I seen it in your eyes, and I would try on my skin that sexiness'.
Er... delete!!!
Then there was the Bostonian who used so many ellipses (...'s) that his emails looked like a 'join the dots' page

I joined loveandfriends last night so still waiting to see what happens there.

A friend recommended, The Rules for Online Dating by Ellen Fein and Sherrie Schneider and my eyes have been opened to all mistakes I've been making e.g. a long 'heavy 'profile, initiating contact with guys, being too available by responding quickly to emails and Instant Messages, responding to 'smiles' which according to the authors involves no real effort on the man's part- merely a click of a button. He could send 'smiles' to scores of women

"You want man who reads your ad and writes you something, however short, and specific to you"

But what if no one I like is answering my ad, and I find or receive a 'smile/wink' from a guy whose profile is simply too good to be true. He is definitely my type in every way and I feel I just have to answer his ad?
Well the authors have said, even if this happens, ignore it!

"The man must initially feel a spark for a woman; the man must pursue the woman; and all men love a challenge. If you are answering a man's ad, you are not using any of these premises... answering a man's ad is to pursue a man..."

"If you write a light and breezy ad and post your best headshot and still don't get a lot of responses, just tell yourself it's not your time"

Sensible advice.

I know as Christians we are cautioned not to take 'worldly' advice, but such issues are never addressed in Christian circles. The occasional Singles seminar that are dedicated to bemoaning our unfortunate state.
Perhaps this is the reason why there are so many Single women in the Church?

I've been Single a long time, I don't want to be Single anymore and to be honest at this point I'll take any advice that works.

From now on I will be a 'Rules' girl!