Monday, May 21, 2007

International Friends in London


A couple of months ago, I came across an advert in Gumtree for International Friends in London. 4 friends had gotten together to organise socials for people who were new to London, and wanted to explore London with other likeminded people. Of the original group, Laura from Nice, France remains.
The only condition to be part of the group is that you have to be an International who is living and working in London. I thought to myself. Interesting... might be fun!

I joined their mailing list, but unfortunately could not attend socials that were almost always held on Saturdays- the day I work at the restaurant

So you can imagine how thrilled I was when they organised a picnic in Hampstead Heath last Sunday. I rallied up my flat mate, Yati and colleague Sin to go check it out!

Like any Single, in the back of my mind I was also hoping that maybe I'd meet someone...

I didn't!

What I did meet was a bunch of lovely people in their mid 20's to early 30's from France, South Africa, India, Moldova, Turkey, Malaysia and me, Uganda.


Even though we were from different countries and had different jobs, our 'foreignness' fostered a sense of kinship. I can't explain it. I just felt a connection, like I'd known them all my life. We all have similar experiences... the culture shock, the woes of shared accommodation, the loneliness. ..
At first everyone was a little bit shy, conversation a bit stilted, and the thought did cross my mind to make my excuses and make a quick exit. But glad I stuck it out because when everyone relaxed it became really interesting to hear their insights into and experience of London. Topics ranged from the current economic situation in the former Soviet Union countries, Bollywood, Nollywood (...and did you know there was also a Lollywood?) to Desperate Housewives and Ugly Betty!
There was a lot of jokes and laughter... a great afternoon!!
When we were leaving one of the guys commented
'Well that was a productive afternoon. Otherwise I would have spent it on my own... in my flat.., lonely...'
Which elicited a lot of 'Awwwwsssss!"
We all hugged goodbye and exchanged 'mwah mwah' French style kisses.

Yati and I agreed that these are the type of friends we would definitely like to meet up with again.
I'm looking forward to the June event which will be at the London Dungeon and then a lunch at nearby Borough market!