Friday, January 05, 2007

Never Give Up

My 6 year old niece said something very profound to me last weekend. I’d been struggling to open one of those little balls dispensed out of vending machines located mostly at amusement arcades and outside off licences. This is supposed to be a KIDS toy, but is sooooo hard to open! After 10 minutes of struggling with a knife, my teeth and all other implements I could get my hands on – including waitress, I handed it back to my niece saying, "I am defeated! I can’t open it!”

She refused to take it saying, “Aunty Kim, Never give up!”

I looked at her in shocked surprise and she repeated, “Never give up!”

With a renewed sense of determination, I grabbed the ball back and, Hey Presto opened it like in 10 seconds!

Sometimes kids can speak such wisdom. I’m not saying my niece is the new King Solomon – so please don’t flock to my door in search for the answer to all life’s questions. She was probably repeating by rote something she has heard from her Mom.

My sister is like that! The tenacious one. Probably explains why she is the most successful in our family! I’ve seen it in her education, projects, work ethic, businesses, and her kids! She’d keep pushing at something and only give up if it was beyond repair or completely dead!
She inspires me!
Perhaps this is something to start 2007 with! Never Give up!