Monday, February 06, 2006

A new chapter...

Just as I was beginning to feel particularly useless at church – and on the verge of leaving… the theme for this evening was ‘involvement in ministry’, an open invitation for members to become part of various ministry teams.
I’ve had my eye on the Worship team for a while, and it’s got nothing to do with the particularly dishy lead guitarist…who up close looks very... urm... dishy!
Unfortunately, they weren’t looking for an acoustic/rhythm guitarist, especially not a self-taught one who can’t read music and doesn’t know what grade she’s at. I toyed briefly with the idea of lying about my proficiency with the electric lead guitar, but then thought better of it. Musicians are an unforgiving lot, and it wouldn’t go down well with “dishy” if I were exposed at the auditions. Do I want to get into the team anyway? They didn’t strike me as particularly friendly. Kind of left me standing on my own unlike the Youth team that was excited to see me at their stand. So I guess its Youth then. I’ve always admired youth workers – they are trendy, up to date “happening” people. Plus,
I always seem to gravitate towards the Youth Ministry. Perhaps it is my Calling? The youth pastor mentioned that there is no one to lead worship for the youth, so my acoustic guitar skills may come in handy after all. I just hope this marks the beginning of a new chapter in my life. In my heart of hearts, I do want to serve God to the best of my ability, because I love Him! I want to get the focus off ME, and place it where it really should be, loving God and my neighbour.
I guess working with youth is kind of like dying to my dreams and aspirations. There’s no way I’ll meet anyone special- single male youth workers are in extremely short supply.
I pray that I’ll make Jesus known and help to make a positive influence in their lives.