Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Surreal...

So I got this really weird voice mail this morning,

“Kimuli, my flower, it’s me, give me a call when you get this message”

Hmm

The accent was male, Ugandan with undertones of an English accent – so someone who has lived here for a while. I scoured my mind trying to figure out who it could be. The only people who sound like that are the Kiwanuka brothers? But we keep in touch and if they were coming to London, I would have known. And anyway they wouldn’t call me ‘My Flower’ usually they call me ‘Little Flower’ or ‘Petit Fleur’.

Who could it be?

Nothing for it. Will just have to return the call and find out

“Hello, this is Kimuli”

“Heelloooooooooooooooo, my flower” like he was greeting an old friend.

“Who is this?”

“I got your number from your brother” Okay so he is my brother’s friend

“You wouldn’t even guess who this is.”

“Is this Denis… no wait… it can’t be Denis… Denis is in Kampala”

And he certainly doesn’t call me ‘My Flower’


I won’t bore you with all the details of the conversation. This guy who I will refer to as ‘P’ finally told me his name. Nope didn’t ring a bell.
He said he was very good friends with my brother. Apparently we met 15 years ago and he’d been quite taken with me but because I was his friend’s younger sister I was ‘off limits’

Clearly this is not an issue anymore because he asked my brother for my number – which the latter gladly gave with the vital information that I was still single.
He then went on to give me what Ugandans would call his ‘CV’

When he met my brother (while on holiday in Uganda – actually he gushed on and on about my brother which I thought was a bit much);

What he does for a living (runs his own company);

Where he lives (an empty 3 bed roomed house which he’d like to share with someone hint hint);

Do I have a ‘type’? What’s my type?

Oh my gosh you’ve got such a lovely voice, do you look as good as you sound? Would you like to go out for dinner… this weekend!??!!!

Whoaaaaa….this is going way too fast for me

I’m intrigued, so I’ve agreed to meet up for lunch this Sunday.

I hope he looks as good as he sounds