Friday, February 20, 2009

Life's little surprises...

I've been looking forward to March. 

Ever since I splashed out (unwisely) on a MacBook for Christmas, things financially have been a bit tight. My old job, docked 7 and a half days of pay because after the annual leave adjustment, it looked like they'd overpaid me, so I got paid less in February. This was made worse by increased travel expenses and having to buy a new wardrobe for the new job. One thing after another

So March was for me, the month when everything would stabilise. I get paid my new salary which means that my disposable income is probably increasing by about £200; there's a brief respite from council tax this month - an extra £150; most of my debt is on 0% interest credit cards, allowing me to spread the repayments evenly over a 10 month period; I'm expecting pay arrears going back to June 2008 from my old job, which I was planning on sending to Uganda to kick off construction of my property there. Heck, there'd even be enough to take a cruise to Oslo in early May...

All that has changed now as Yati announced that she is moving out on the 1 March. 

Ok - not really a surprise (her moving out), but hadn't reckoned on it happening so soon and with only 2 weeks notice. My flat is almost completely furnished by her and so naturally she is taking all her stuff- sofa, bedroom furniture, in the kitchen most of the pots, glasses, plates, bowls, the iron...

There's a lesson here for me. It is going to be decidedly rough but with God's help I will ride the storm. There are people in worse situations. I guess I'll have to risk assess other areas in my life and not be caught out by the unexpected. I suppose you can't plan for every eventuality, but I should have seen this coming ages ago

You live and learn!