Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Weekend!


Right now it is snowing! How weird is that! Last year's Easter I went roller blading (badly) in Hyde Park and the next day walking in beautiful rural Essex.
This year has been different! It's been freezing cold. On Thursday night I was having a bath, when my bathroom heater decided to conk out on me! Nothing like getting out of a warm bath into a freezing room!
The Good Friday service was beautiful. Our assistant Vicar, who used to be an actor, organised a Passion Play. This involved readings from the gospel and inviting the congregation to use their imagination and participate during the crowd scenes e.g at the Last Supper when Jesus says - "One of you is about to betray me", they all whispered, "Surely not I?" Or when the crowd shouts to Pilate to release Barrabbus, they all shouted, "Release the criminal".
The tech team helped play the sound effects - 'wind rustling in trees', 'stamping feet', 'Passion of the Christ'-like background music.
Dave, who used to be head of tech team (but hasn't fully grasped what 'stepping down' really means) was in charge. He was tired, cranky and at one point, quite short with me because I did not understand a technical term. So straight after the service I went home before I could get even more annoyed!
On the Saturday evening, Trudi and I went for the 'London Safari Newly Single' meetup in a pub in Farringdon. There were a couple of guys I really got along with- Taz from Malaysia and Suguru from Japan. Lovely guys!
Sunday morning, I opened my front door to this...
So funny to see Yati in braids! I was just so excited to see her back from her holiday in Jamaica, and to hear all the stories she had to tell! Not to mention the 63% proof Wray and Nephew rum she brought back with her -we'll be making a lot of cocktails in the near future!
The braids didn't last long - she'd taken them out by evening!
Clare and Phil hosted lunch at their place, so a group of us went over and chilled. Afterwards, I dropped in at my nephew's who greeted me with a scowl and "What are you doing here?" Clearly I should visit more often! I stayed only 10 minutes - it just felt too awkward.
To further add to the awkwardness, I found my sister Ngonzi back at the flat helping Yati with her hair. She totally blanked me when I said hello and rebuffed any efforts to start a conversation. Clearly she's decided not to forgive me (she hasn't spoken to me since September!!!) Well if she wants to be like that!
So it's been an eventful Easter with highs (the meet up, Trudi, Yati, lunch at Clare and Phil's) and lows (Dave, Immanuel and Ngonzi)