Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Joe

Internet access this last week has been VERY restricted as I have been working away from the office. I’ve got to be the only blogger in the world that does not have unlimited access to the Internet. Still it isn’t all bad as I use computers at our local library. As a member you get the first hour free. The downside to using the library is that the connection is VERY slow- I think they are still on dial-up or something. Also I have to use it during peak periods i.e. after work along with all the other poor people who don’t have computers at home. Access at these times is limited to 15 or 30 minutes if you are lucky.

The work computer is ok, but I only let myself access it for 10 minutes every hour. If the smokers can be allowed to go outside regularly to indulge their habit, well then so can I! Unfortunately, access is also restricted and I can’t get into any of the dating websites or Facebook. So at lunch time I trudge down to nearby Internet café, where I can access emails from the many admirers on Dating Direct, and write on people’s ‘Walls’.

Last Thursday I met up with an Italian guy, called Joe, for coffee. We met through the meet up group ‘Club Roma’ – an Italian speakers group – in the days when I was still enthusiastic about learning Italian (that’s kind of fallen by the wayside now) Anywhooooo… Joe emailed the whole group to say that he couldn’t make our Saturday meet-ups, but was available to meet during the week and on Sundays. I thought that he had emailed me and we started an email correspondence. I later realised that he hadn’t singled me out, and embarrassed, stopped writing. A month later, I received an email from him asking whether I was still alive and would I like to meet up to watch an Italian movie? I sent back a pleasant email, but didn’t comment about the movie. Then another email… Would I like to meet up for coffee? Why not? So yes, agreed to that.

Joe is very intriguing, and he tells his story here Joe Palermo

But for those of you too lazy to click on links, in summary, he’s been through a lot of experiences, and is your typical ‘bad boy’! An unusual character that was definitely worth meeting!!! I must admit I was a bit apprehensive, but when I finally met him, I realised that I was just being silly. He’s one of the easiest guys to talk to and it felt really comfortable sitting al fresco, sipping my Americano, listening to him talk about himself, career and his life. He was very relaxed and un-self conscious… Reminded me very much of my high school best friend, Doreen, who was always full of wacky ideas and not afraid to take risks to pursue her dreams in the media. I admired her a great deal. Talking to Joe, I thought to myself, this guy could well be my best friend. I mean, Simon, is supposed to be my ‘honorary’ best friend, but ever since he got married he’s become quite distant. Which in all fairness he should because it is not really appropriate to have a female ‘best friend’ who isn’t your wife, is it?
So the position of male best friend is vacant, and I just may have found the person to fill it!