Monday, September 24, 2007

Rugby

It was a really quiet weekend! Usually, I wake up early on Saturday morning to go to the gym, but for once, I decided to have some time out, have a lie in... reacquaint myself with the vacuum cleaner, make plenty of phone calls to friends.

I caved in mid morning and went for an aerobics class. Due to over enthusiasm with the crunches, my stomach muscles are still in agony - 3 days later

I also watched the Rugby World Cup 2007. Ahhh, Rugby! Takes me back to my Fresher days. Our University team was called the Impis. The captain Paul, who had adopted me as his younger sister, invited me to watch my first game and I went out of curiousity. However, when he discovered that I was quite a loud and enthusiastic cheerleader he decided to make me an honorary Impi, the team mascot!
Almost every Saturday afternoon during rugby season, the bus would pull up outside 'Box' my halls of residence, and honk impatiently for me. All those gorgeous rugby players!! I'd gather up as many girls as possible and then we'd go and cheer our hearts out at the Lugogo Rugby club.
"GOOOOOO IMPIS!!"
or if the other team grabbed the ball
" GRAB HIM, LACK HIM, KILLLLLLL HIM!"
It was marvelous fun!
I developed a bit of a crush on one of the players which every one thought was quite cute. I'd sit with him on the bus on the way back from the game. Subsequently I learnt that Paul had given him a 'talk' and was 'watching' him - which really explains the poor guys' nervousness. Eventually he came up with the "I-can't-date-you-It's-not-you-it's-me" speech. I was heartbroken
The World cup has rekindled my love for Rugby - possibly nostalgia. It doesn't hurt that the best looking guys on the England Rugby tea- Jonny Wilkinson and Jason Robinson are born again Christians! Last Sunday when England was playing against Samoa, Jonny played really well. I felt so proud of him!
I wonder what the neighbours think because there I am yelling loudly in my living room, just like my Impis days!