Monday, July 16, 2007

The Stag!

Way back in April I contacted all Simon's friends and proposed that for his stag we should have a weekend away of adventure activities. It turns out this was too expensive for them, because most of them were married and had family responsibilities to consider

So I proposed a pub crawl instead, which would be more in line with 'tight-fisted' English culture! Alas - they were not available for this either. What kind of friends does Si have?

I give up!

The ones who agreed to come were all people that he has met through the Internet or work colleagues- so no one from his past!

Simone has been corresponding with him for 8 years and this was her first time to meet him. She brought along her cousin Sebastian as a chaperone, just in case we turned out to be a bunch of weirdos.

The setting for the stag? Angel, Islington. For an early supper we went to Japanese teppanyaki restaurant, Ah-So, with entertaining Philipino chef Charly! Next door was the Hope and Anchor pub which was the perfect place to begin a pub crawl!

To make the evening a bit more interesting I suggested that we should all dress up as characters from the Adventure/Fantasy genre that Simon likes so much. For Si I procured a 'Gandalf' wig and beard! He looked hilarious. I wore a Pirates costume, Yati came as an angel and not sure what Simone and Sebastian were supposed to be. Lukasz came as 'Himself' - probably the street urchin or rogue?
It was a fun evening. We pub crawled all the way to Angel Station. Simon got progressively WASTED! At one point he was feeling 'hot??' and needed to walk in the fresh air to cool down. Never mind that we were walking in the street at that time. Then he started going on about me being his best friend which was quite embarrassing really. You see Simon likes to hug and I am not really a 'touchy feely' person! At around midnight he decided to launch into a 'serious' conversation about upcoming wedding, stuttering, stopping mid sentence... (as drunk people do)
Yati, just fell asleep on the couch and it was left to me to keep insisting that he hurry up. As I live outside London, it was absolutely vital to get to Kings Cross on time so that we could catch the last train back home. And we would have caught the train, if Si had not insisted on going back to his home (even though I'd offered him my couch for the night!) We had to take him to Trafalgar Square, get him on to his night bus and then catch our night bus which took us about 2 hours to get home!

Ahh the things we do for friends!

Well all that's left now is the (GASP) speech and I still need to get the suit! The good news is that thanks to Slimming World, I have lost a staggering half a stone in just one month, and I am no longer in between sizes! I've also taken up the gym and swimming regularly which has helped to tone me up a bit more! It feels so good to walk into a shop and find clothes that fit!

Can't believe the wedding is in a couple of weeks time!